Tuesday 21 January 2014

Centrepieces and decoration

As soon as we set the date I knew what I wanted for my centrepieces. I ummed and ahhhed a bit, but stuck with what I originally wanted. Which were these....


A round floral centrepiece with a big fat candle :)
As our wedding was a Christmas one, Our colours were Ivory and red.
Also, as I am from Yorkshire - white rose (but softened it using an ivory rose)
and the fella is from Lancashire - Red rose, (warmed it up with a deep red rose)
we wanted to incorporate these roses into our wedding, so it was perfect to choose a christmas wedding, everything just fit together so well.

My Grandma actually made all the table flower decorations! She did an amazing job, don't you think. But she does do flower arrangements for her local church for weddings etc... Handy lady to know ;)

The top table and signing table arrangement


 So what was I umming and ahhing about? Well I saw some beautiful candelabras with flowers draped in and around them, which I thought looked stunning, but didn't feel they would work so well, I wanted people to be able to see over the table, to chat to everyone around their table, not just the people next to them because they couldn't see over the candle sticks.

Perfect I think
I am not a flower kind of girl, and wasn't overly fussed about flowers, but I knew I wanted them as my arrangements, as they add so much colour and they do look beautiful, if you choose right.
I am not a huge fan or balloons or fish bowls, so these were a no, no. But I know a lot of brides do like them. I just don't. So went traditional and had flowers :)


These centrepieces also held my table names...
The little reindeer's you see, in frosted glass...
I tied a red bow round their necks and then glued a holly leaf on the neck, so it looked like it was tied on. Then on the holly leaf, my sister wrote the name of a reindeer.
This was done VERY last minute on the day before the wedding.
I stupidly forgot to make my own table names whilst I was back in Wigan, and I didn't have anything with me to make something. So my mums genius idea, was this one! I think they turned out well too.

These centerpieces didn't go to waste either. My mother in law got one, Dae's Aunt got one, some other friends and family got one, so they could put them on their tables for christmas :) Belting idea.
And we took the long one home for our christmas

In our dining room fire place. 


 Chair Covers!!

I had previously booked a lady in Grimsby, as she was recommended by her Niece, I think she was. However, they contacted me in October to say they couldn't fulfil my needs for the wedding. I am just glad they let me know in enough time.
So I went on a hunt to find someone who could help me out with chair covers. I emailed about 10 companies, but one stood out, as I saw what I wanted on her page.
I was originally going to have an ivory chair with red organza sash, just a standard chair covering.
But I am so glad I found Flawless Chair Covers!! They had something different, something that would finish my room off perfectly.
Here are my chair covers done by Flawless Chair Covers




Absolutely beautiful. In the end I chose white covers with a deep red taffeta sash with snowy pine cones. A lot of companies said I couldn't have anything on the back of the chairs as the sash wouldn't hold them. But Flawless Chair Covers did wonders and I had the best chairs I could have ever dreamed of. Fit in with my theme amazingly.

The room was then finished off with some candle sticks which we bought from the range, and we added a ring of flowers - which my mum had in her 'christmas cupboard'
Then we made a santa's list. To drape down the candle sticks.
Each candle stick had a golden ribbon santa's list, which my sister kindly wrote down all the names of the guests on, so they could be on santa's list.





Another little touch, that didn't cost the earth, but looked pretty. It is the little things that make the wedding special.

What I will say though is this.
Decorate your venue, to compliment the venue.
My venue was an old 16th century hotel, so it was old and rustic, and not modern in the slightest.
The curtains in the room were golden and reds, so if I chose a purple, silver and white colour theme, it wouldn't have looked as pretty as it did. Also Christmas time is a great time to get married, as venues have decorations up, so less decoration for you to do, to make it right.
Fit the decor around the venue and around the season you are in and the outcome will be right.

1 comment:

  1. The glass candle holders were so pretty! I was fascinated by the ribbon with family names on.

    ReplyDelete